Many people talk about all of the conditions that must be met for VA loan eligibility 

There are multiple conditions that an active service member or veteran must meet.  

But, the first step is obtaining your VA loan certificate of eligibility, aka COE.  

We know that this can be intimidating.  There are a lot of moving parts but in this article, we will simplify it and make this process as simple as possible.  

VA loan certificate of eligibility COE

We will walk you through how to obtain your VA loan certificate of eligibility and what forms the VA requires you to provide to prove you served or are serving in the military, how to get a copy of form 26-1880 (COE), and where your certificate of eligibility must be sent.  

Forms And Paperwork Needed For A VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility

The forms you will need to provide to obtain your VA certificate of eligibility will depend on your service experience and whether you are an active duty service member or a veteran.  

Veterans and Current or Former Activated National Guard or Reserve Members

If you are a veteran, a current or former activated National Guard or Reserve member, you will need a copy of your discharge paperwork and your separation papers aka your DD214.  

If you are an active duty service member or a current member of the National Guard or Reserves that has never been activated, you will need a signed statement from your commander, adjutant, or personnel officer, stating the following: 

  • Full name 
  • Social security number 
  • Date of birth 
  • Date you entered duty 
  • Duration of any lost time 
  • Name of the command providing the information 

In addition, if you are a current member of the National Guard or Reserves that has never been activated, your commander, adjutant, or personnel officer will also need to include in their signed statement: 

  • Your total number of creditable years of service  
VA Home Loan Quote

Discharged Members Of The National Guard Who Were Never Activated

You will need your report of separation and record of service for each period of National Guard Service, commonly known as NGB Form 22 

Discharged Members Of The Reserves Who Were Never Activated 

You will need your latest annual retirement points and proof of your honorable service.  

Surviving Spouse Of A Veteran Who Died On Active Duty Or From a Service Connected Disability 

If you are a surviving spouse of a veteran who died then you will need a copy of your spouse's discharge paperwork known as form DD214. 

Military Can Achieve The Dream of Home Ownership with VA Loan

Where Do I Get Form 26-1880?

Whether you are or were active duty, a veteran, National Guard or Reserves, everyone must obtain Form 26-1880 which is more commonly known as the department of veterans affairs certificate of eligibility request form. 

The easiest place to obtain the form 26-1880 is from the VA's website. 

This form is in PDF format and can actually be filled out right on the website and downloaded or printed from there. 

It is super easy to access and includes a lot of instructions and frequently asked questions to assist you in the process. 

Plus, we've reviewed many of the steps you will need to take in this article so you should be pretty prepared. 

But wait! 

If you contact the Wendy Thompson lending team, they will do all of this for you!

Say what? 

That's right, part of the obtaining a VA home loan through the Wendy Thompson lending team is that they make the entire process as seamless and easy as possible.  Click here to get started.

VA Home Loan Quote

Where Do I Send My COE?

Again, keep in mind, that if you contact the Wendy Thompson lending team, we will handle sending off your certificate of eligibility for your VA loan. 

But, if you've gone through all the steps and have your copy of form 26-1880, depending on where you live, you will need to send it to a specific location. 

If You Live in.....

Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Tennessee send your COE to:

Department of Veterans Affairs Atlanta Regional Loan Center

PO Box 100023, Decatur, GA 30031-7023

Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, or Vermont Send Your COE To:

Department of Veterans Affairs Cleveland Regional Loan Center

1240 East Ninth Street, Cleveland, OH 44199

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming Send your COE To:

Department of Veterans Affairs Denver Regional Loan Center

Box 25126, Denver, CO 80225

hawaii, guam, american samoa commonweath of the northern marianas send your COE to:

Department of Veterans Affairs VA Regional Office Loan Guaranty Division (26)

459 Patterson Road, Honolulu, HI 96819

Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Texas Send Your COE to:

Department of Veterans Affairs Houston Regional Loan Center

6900 Almeda Road, Houston, TX 77030-4200

Arizona, california, new mexico, or nevada send your coe to:

Department of Veterans Affairs Phoenix Regional Loan Center

3333 N. Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85012-2402

District of columbia, kentucky, maryland, virginia, or west virginia send your coe to:

Department of Veterans Affairs Roanoke Regional Loan Center

210 Franklin Road, S.W., Roanoke, VA 24011

Illinois, iowa, kansas, minesota, missouri, nebraska, north dakota, south dakota, or wisconsin send your coe to:

Department of Veterans Affairs St. Paul Regional Loan Center

1 Federal Drive, Ft. Snelling St. Paul, MN 55111-4050

Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, puerto rico, u.s. virgin islands

Department of Veterans Affairs St. Petersburg Regional Loan Center

9500 Bay Pines Blvd., St. Petersburg, FL 33744

approval is easy with our "tactical va loan blueprint"

If you’re a current or retired military member looking to buy a home and choose to take advantage of the VA Loan program, you may be wondering the best mortgage company to go with. 

Be very careful here as any mortgage company can offer a VA loan, but few of them specialize in VA loans, and there are a lot of ways lenders can screw up your dream of owning a home. 

The Wendy Thompson Lending Team is one of the top ranked VA Loan and Mortgage specialist working with active military and veterans in all of the 50 States. 

Unique only to the Wendy Thompson Lending Team is our easy 3 step plan: 

The Tactical VA Loan Blueprint

Deciding on the right VA lender is the most important decision you will make. Choosing the wrong lender can result in you losing your dream home or costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars in more interest over the life of your mortgage.  

Don’t make that mistake, contact the Wendy Thompson Lending Team today!  

You can start the process by clicking the yellow 'See if I'm Eligible' button on the right side bar under the 'Start your quote for VA Home Loan'  or call Wendy’s Team directly at (901) 250-2294, to get started on living the American Dream in the home of your Dreams!